Monday, April 29, 2019

Karpenesi to Krikello on the E4: Day 41

A day of roads, forest tracks and paths among the trees with some good waymarking.
Today is (Greek Orthodox) Easter Monday so the supermarkets were still closed, however I was able to buy some provisions from a kiosk, a bakery and a greengrocer (the last mentioned might not have been open but I walked in as they were busy unloading something). When I checked out of the Lecadin hotel I was touched that the man on reception remembered I was walking to Krikello today. He had numerous signed football shirts on the desk beside him, momentos left by teams staying at the hotel during their high altitude training at Karpenesi (which is at 1000 metres).
A walk downhill out of Karpenesi was followed by (the inevitable) walk uphill with some good views from the road back over town. At the village of Kalithea the church was gaily decorated with flags but no one was about, the cafe closed. Forest tracks led me onward to Myriki where the taverna was empty but open, or at least they served me a Greek coffee (and two almond(?) flavoured biscuits). I passed a snake on the way sunning itself on the track.
For the next section, forest tracks alternated with reasonably well marked paths. Sometimes I had to search for the path or push tree branches out of the way but in general the conditions were better than on previous "paths". There were some steep uphill sections before I reached a herd of cows (along with goats and sheep the main type of farming in the area). The route levelled out and then dropped down on tarmac to Krikello.
Plane trees, a number of tavernas and the church surround the square in this village. I stopped at one of the tavernas for a Coke, my feet tired, the ball of my left foot aching, and asked the kind, English speaking lady serving about accommodation. Turns out they had reasonably priced rooms nearby so now I am ensconced in a nice room with a toy stuffed cow beside me on the bed, happily replete after a meal of lamb, potatoes and salad, oh and a beer!

24.9 kilometres walked today with an ascent of 890 metres.

A GPX file of my route can be downloaded from wikiloc.com, or from myViewRanger short code johnpon0042.



No comments:

Post a Comment