Sunday, April 28, 2019

Rest day at Karpenesi: Day 40 on the E4

After some long days with a lot of walking up and down mountains I decided a rest day was in order. So I have been sitting admiring the view across Karpenesi from my balcony at the Lecadin hotel. The town is surrounded by wooded hills beyond which are snow capped peaks. Gunshots of weekend hunters in the mountains intrude on the sound of traffic and birdsong.
I had hoped to stock up on food but today is Sunday and most shops are closed. Fortunately a chemist was open, as I have been suffering with numerous itchy insect bites over the last few days. Hopefully the cream I was sold will give me some relief.
Traditional Easter Sunday lunch seems to be a major event with roast lamb, a large helping of which I enjoyed at a busy Taverna in town. After eating there was a bouzouki and guitar player singing traditional songs plus some that sounded more upbeat with a drum beat added.
In the evening town was full of people having a coffee or some other drink. I tried a tsipouro, a local spirit made from grape residues after they have been pressed. Pleasant, but I thought it wise to stick to one, especially as it came from an unmarked bottle.

Guitar and bouzouki players at a restaurant after a traditional Easter Sunday lunch

No comments:

Post a Comment