Friday, April 19, 2019

Return to Kalambaka on the E4: Day 31

A day of travel returning to Kalambaka via Thessalonika ready to walk through the Pindus mountains on some route close to the E4.
After a long day travelling, by plane from Gatwick to Thessaloniki airport, by bus through the busy streets of the city, another coach to Trikala (confusingly not at the scheduled time) and finally a bus to Kalambaka. At one stage a silver haired old lady sat by me, completely dressed in black including the headscarf. A very traditional look but no longer common. As I approached Trikala the snow capped mountains I hope to cross in a few days time came into view. I was warned that trekking in April (albeit now late April) can be tricky with regard to weather. Snow could be a issue in the mountains. I have brought my winter sleeping bag and some warm clothes in case, but ploughing through snow can be slow going. Then, later on my trip the cold weather gear will just be extra weight as spring turns to summer. Still, there is the possibility of fairy tale, snowy landscapes!
My research on this section of E4 through the Pindus mountains came up with a number of routes. Anavasi maps show what may have been the original route, however in places, even in the earliest reports, hikers have taken different trails, maybe to avoid overgrown sections or long stretches of road, where the original mule tracks have now been straighened and tarmaced.
Tonight I am comfortably installed at the Hotel Rex, serviceable and modestly priced accommodation with a pleasant taverna opposite where a bouzouki and guitar player entertained me and other tourists while I ate my dinner.

2 comments:

  1. Hi John,
    I have been looking forward to the continuation of your journey. Best wishes from Austria for crossing the Pindus mountains!

    I just did some minor E4-walking last week in Austria. After doing the alpine branch I also want to complete the northern branch from East to West in little bits, together with my wife Maria. We just corssed the Viennese Forrest all the way to Wilhelmsburg, probably on the same paths that you walked some years ago.
    In July I will travel to the French-Spanish border, where I left the E4 3 years ago and complete the part through Catalunya.
    In the meantime I will be happy to read about your adventures in Greece. May you enjoy good weather, awesome views and great tavernas.
    All the best
    Klaus

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you and your wife enjoyed the Vienna woods as much as I did, the shafts of light penetrating the trees were truly magical.
      Best wishes for your trip to Spain
      John

      Delete