Wednesday, May 22, 2019

Gythio to Kissamos on the E4: Day 64

A ferry journey to Crete watching the sunset over the island of Kythira.
The Peloponnese section of the E4 European Long Distance Walk ends in Gythio, where a ferry leaves once a week on a Wednesday afternoon, sailing to the island of Kythira, and then on to Kissamos in Crete where the E4 continues. I managed to time my arrival at Gythio for a Tuesday evening ready for the ferry today. This morning I used the spare time for a bit of shopping, getting my hair cut and an attempt at sightseeing. The two sights signposted in Gythio were the Mani museum, which appeared to be closed, and the ancient theatre. I am not sure how ancient the theatre is, there was no information posted at the site which I could see. The remains were fenced off, somewhat overgrown and next to a military base of some kind with a no photographs sign.
After picking up my luggage from the Saga Pension I was on the breakwater where the good ship Ionis would dock, a good hour and half before it sailed. After its arrival and my boarding I settled myself on the open top deck and watched as we sailed across the Lakonian Gulf. A cold wind blew up and I put on my jacket while others went inside. The long arms of the Peloponnese continued each side of boat for many hours, grey mountainous stretches of land, distant cargo ships past between us and the land. At the island of Kythira the ferry made a stop to offload and load cars and people. I watched the sunset behind Kythira, it was overcast, the dying sun colouring the clouds on the horizon a deep red.
At a few minutes to midnight we disembarked at Kissamos port in Crete. I walked 2.6 kilometre along the coast road, which the E4 follows, to my hotel. Thankfully there were street lights. The cars and motor bikes from the ferry soon passed me, then I was alone in the surprisingly warm evening. At the modern and efficient Elena Beach hotel the helpful receptionist took me to my room and I enjoyed a shot of the complimentary tsipouro (or was in raki?) and nuts before turning in.

The ferry Ionis which took me to Crete via the island of Kythira

Sunset over Kythira

No comments:

Post a Comment