Tuesday, May 7, 2019

Patra to Diakofto on the E4: Day 49

A sort of rest day, just a bus journey from the surprisingly interesting city of Patra.
The E4 continues in the Peloponnese from the town of Diakofto (or Diakopto). Patra's railway to Diakofto is not currently in operation so I caught the substitute bus service. There was time before my bus to have a look around Patra. Although a bit run down (faded paint, graffiti, grass sprouting where it should not etc.), I found it attractive with its bakeries, clothes shops and cafes. I walked up to the castle and the Roman remains (unlike Delphi, planted with carefully tended roses).
My journey to Diakofto was a bit stressful as greek buses seem to stop at random places (or not stop just pull in and pause). I kept an eye on our position on Google Maps as we followed the south coast of the Gulf of Corinth, however it turned out to be straightforward, the coach stopped in front of the railway station. After I frantically pulled on my rucksack to extract it from under piles of other luggage, the bus was quickly on its way.
From Diakopto the E4 follows the mountain railway line to Kalavrita, so I checked on the train times at the station as I did not want to be caught in a tunnel with a train coming. Fortunately for me (but not other visitors) there were no trains running tomorrow so I would be safe. After a cappuccino, cheese pie and custard pie in the station cafe with its helpful staff I was off to the Hotel Alkistis where they let me check in early. A whole apartment to myself although a bit cool to use the swimming pool.
Diakopto has a pretty little harbour for small boats and after a beer at the adjacent bar it was into the village for a small animal stew (rabbit I believe).







No comments:

Post a Comment