Thursday, May 16, 2019

Sparta to Mystras on the E4: Day 58

A short walk today followed by a visit to the Byzantine ruins of Mystras.
After a leisurely start it was a short walk today along roads to the Castleview campsite at Mystras. I was very much in campervan territory, several passed me on the road and they are the main occupants of the campsite. Once I had pitched my tent (in a shady spot as sun damages its fabric) I walked into the village, several cafes and tavernas crowded around the central square. After some refreshment I headed up the road to the 13th century ruins of old Mystras. The remains of this fortified city are spread over a steep hillside with a fortress at the summit. The most complete remains were churches and monasteries, one of which appeared to be still in use. Ancient wall paintings, fragmented and much faded, reminded me of modern Greek Orthodox churches who still use the Byzantine double headed eagle as their emblem. The site is very popular, with several coach parties, some consisting of noisy school children, and tourists of various nationalities.
After a late lunch I tried the (cold) swimming pool at the campsite, and then settled myself on a poolside sun lounger, only for the sun to go behind a cloud and a cool wind start blowing.

4.7 kilometres walked from Sparta to Mystra, but rather more walking around Byzantine Mystra.

An ancient street in old Mystra

An ancient wall painting in a church

Looking up at the dome of a church

No comments:

Post a Comment