Wednesday, September 12, 2018

Nimfeo to Amindeo on E4: Day 14

A walk back down to the plains through beech, oak and grassland with a final busy road section.
After an enormous and delightful breakfast at Guesthouse Enterne I headed off through the beech woods with a heavy stomach. Foresters were already at work thinning the trees. A team of small, docile horses was being used to bring the cut logs down to the forest track on their backs which saves creating lots of extra vehicle tracks. One horse was not in use, looked like he was recovering from some saddle sores. From the size of the logs on the horses and lining the track I expect it was to be sold as firewood.
As the track descended the trees changed to oak and the flies descended on me as a dense cloud. The insect repellent I had bought (some mixture of lemon and eucalyptus oil) does not seem to have much effect however the gnats do not appear to be biting me. Not sure why I am such an attraction to them. The flies cleared as lower still I left the trees for open grassland and dropped down to the village of Xino Nero where I had a lemonade and a large ice cream while watching three dogs chase tractors and diggers that were passing. They did not catch any, so then they played let's follow the funny British hiker before they found something more interesting to chase after.
After Xino Nero it was alongside a busy road for a few kilometres before reaching my destination, Kleio Resort Hotel on the outskirts of the town of Amindeo  (or Aminteo, Greek letters are transliterated in a variety of ways). Although the town was not that picturesque, among the many coffee shops I found one selling cakes, one of which I ate while watching a dog make a slow, potentially suicidal, walk across the busy road. 

A gpx file of my route for your GPS can be found on wikiloc.com, or you can view it on your smartphone on ViewRanger, shortcode johnpon0037.

On the path down to the plains

No comments:

Post a Comment