Saturday, September 8, 2018

Voras mountains to Skopos reservoir on E4: Day 10

A morning in the mountains among herds of cows followed by a circuitous descent.
I struck camp just as the big, red sun was rising over the distant mountains, first just the cusp of it but soon the complete, swollen circle. The first section of trail continued the contouring of yesterday along the side of the Voras range, following paths made by cows in and out of little valleys. I passed a few large herds of cows today. The first, a collection of grey, black and pale brown beasts, was not pleased to see me with certain members bellowing their disapproval and setting the cows off at a trot.  I dropped down the slope to avoid driving them off their pasture. A later herd of rich brown cows took little notice of me as I walked through them. There were also large flocks of sheep with their shepherds above and below me in places.
I joined a tarmac road for a while near a Ski Resort, then headed off on paths along the side of the range again. Passing a small house (next to another with its roof caved in) I was perturbed to see several large dogs staring at me. Fortunately they were content with a few barks to see me off their premises.
For the following section I had to rely heavily on my GPS as paths came and went. At one point I struggled through ferns, soggy ground and juniper bushes as I crossed a small valley with steep and overgrown sides. Eventually the route headed downhill joining a vehicle track. My GPS route took me off this track on a faint and overgrown path through trees, bushes and thick undergrowth. After getting juniper needles stuck in all parts of my body as I tried to push through I eventually gave up and rejoined the vehicle track for an easier, if less adventurous, route down the hillside.
My intended destination for the day was a reservoir. I could see it from a few kilometres away. There seemed some kind of watchtower on the wooded hillside beyond it. Two pick ups passed me, one stopped and asked something, I had the feeling the driver thought I was Albanian. This and the watchtower made me hurry on along the road which tediously went in and out of all the many arms of the reservoir. Reaching the dam itself I passed through a few gates and an impressively large cutting. Then, when I was clear of the reservoir, I walked up a little valley to find a camping spot. Before doing so I made sure there were no settlements nearby, but as soon as my tent was up, there were dogs barking in the distance, the ringing of bells attached to some animals and a vehicle driving up a nearby track. The Greek countryside is more populated than I had expected, especially by flies, trapped between the inner and outer sheets of my tent and buzzing crossly.

Morning looking out from the Voras mountains

This herd of cows did not like my presence

Walking along the side of the Voras mountains

No comments:

Post a Comment