Sunday, September 2, 2018

Rest day at Doirani: Day 4

After yesterday's long walk and another in prospect for the next day I decided on a rest day at the Hotel Doviros.  
By 8:30 am I had drank a breakfast coffee, walked around the town, viewed its tavernas, visited the lakeshore and spotted a heron. That just left one sight, the British Military cemetry. 
This took a while to walk to but I am glad I did. I knew nothing of the Salonika front of the first world war however it appears to have ended the lives of a great many people. Almost half died due to malaria, the rest in attacks which appear to have put little value on the lives of the soldiers. Many of those who died were from the Welsh and South Wales Borders battalions with names like Jones and Thomas. They may have lived close to where my home is. The cemetery looked immaculate as such places always are thanks to the War Graves Commission, although I doubt it has many visitors. 
At the top of the hill is a monument to those British soldiers who have no graves. It has sculptures of lions. I like to think they look sad due to the loss of all those lives. I felt it well worth the visit to pay my respects to those who gave their lives.

Lake Doiran, FYR Macedonia on the opposite shore

British Commonwealth War Grave near Doiran, immaculately kept for those who died on the Salonika front in the first world war 


No comments:

Post a Comment